Greetings library colleagues,
The Bureau of Library Development (BLD) in the Office of Commonwealth Libraries (OCL) continues to work on new and existing programs and initiatives. Highlights of our recent activities are listed below. Please refer to BLD’s third quarter Compendium posts at the end of this message for additional information. IMPORTANT NOTE: At the time of this writing, the necessary school code legislation that enables our office to make public library subsidy payments has not been passed by the General Assembly. As a result, district aid payments are delayed. We will share updates regarding payments when new information is available.
- Fiscal year 2023-24 Statewide Library Service Grant awards have been conditionally approved. Documents are being finalized for contract execution. Information on how to manage a grant is available on the LSTA LibGuide. Another round of Statewide Library Service grants will open for application in early 2024. Stay tuned for more information.
- The 2024 Keystone Grants for Public Library Facilities grant round closed October 13th and applicants will be notified of the status of their applications in February 2024.
- District Library Center reports and the State Aid Library Subsidy Application (SALSA) are closed and currently under review. Libraries will be notified if more information is required and when reports and plans have been approved.
- Updates/Changes to the public library directory (Directory 2.2) should be submitted using this form. The Library Status Form on POWER Library should no longer be used to send updates to library hours or closings to OCL.
- The Public Library Director Certification Extension Form has been updated and can be found on the certification page of the State Aid Resources for Pennsylvania Public Libraries LibGuide. This page also contains other information regarding the certification process and standards required.
- The GAC Guidelines for Libraries Seeking to Expand or Reduce Service Areas have been approved and are posted on the guidelines section of the State Library website.
- The Summer Impact Report form remains open for libraries that have yet to complete it. A copy of the information submitted will be sent via automated email to the email address provided in the report.
- In the coming months, new content will be added to PA Library Staff Academy. There will be a new category called “Newly Added” which will allow users to easily sort through over 20 new tutorials on topics such as ChatGPT, organizational management, conflict management, volunteer engagement, sustainability and succession planning, policymaking, and more.
- The rebuilding of BLD continues. Several positions remain to be filled and are in various stages of recruitment including the Education Administration Specialist, Administrative Assistant, Accessible Adult Services Advisor, Operations and Relationships Advisor, and Assistant Director.
I am grateful for your patience and support as we move forward. Thank you for all you do for Pennsylvanians.
Heather Sharpe, MLIS | Director, Bureau of Library Development
Office of Commonwealth Libraries | Pennsylvania Department of Education
607 South Drive | Room 230 | Harrisburg PA 17120
Office: 717.783.0565 | Mobile: 717.903.1819 | www.statelibrary.pa.gov
Quarterly BLD Digest
August 1, 2023 Pennsylvania Summer Library Program 2023 Impact Report- NOW OPEN
August 14, 2023 Professional Development Opportunities
August 15, 2023 Updated Certification Information on Website
August 16, 2023 Keystone Grants for Public Libraries Application Opens
August 16, 2023 Register Now for Youth Services Professional Development with Search Institute
August 28, 2023 Library Development Specialist Position Open for Application
August 31, 2023 Register to Learn How to Navigate Challenges in Your Library
September 1, 2023 New GAC Guidelines on Service Area Approved
September 5, 2023 Reminder – State Aid Library Subsidy Application is Due October 1, 2023
September 6, 2023 Survey concerning possible changes to the national Public Libraries Survey (PLS) – Annual Report
September 8, 2023 Join INCLUDING YOU and Dr. Emily Knox on 9/11 for Intellectual Freedom COP
September 25, 2023 Contacting BLD – Email Resource Account Updates
September 27, 2023 Apply now – Two new positions open in OCL
The Bureau of Library Development (BLD) in the Office of Commonwealth Libraries supports libraries and library services for Pennsylvanians through the administration of state and federally funded programs and grant opportunities including LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act), Library Access, LAMP (Library of Accessible Media for Pennsylvanians), the Public Library Subsidy, and Keystone Grants for Public Library Facilities. BLD also provides advisory services, professional development, and continuing education for library staff and volunteer leadership at public, school, academic, and special libraries.
The Compendium is BLD’s primary communication channel. If you don’t already subscribe, please do so to ensure you receive the most up-to-date information.