Video Game Clubs of America (VGCUSA) focuses on establishing gaming clubs in educational settings to assist the socially awkward become socially active through the power of good sportsmanship, gaming, and social and emotional learning. Gaming clubs include all types of games, including console and computer games, as well as board, table, and card games.
In 2021, the Office of Commonwealth Libraries’ Out of School Time, LSTA-Funded project, worked with VGCUSA to provide support and materials to 11 school libraries to offer this program to learners. In 2022, up to 25 more schools may be offered this opportunity for Pennsylvania youth.
Fill out this application to apply for a gaming club starter kit.
Approved applicants will receive:
- A Nintendo Wii Starter Kit (Nintendo Wii, select Wii Games, HDMI adapters, 2 controllers, delivery to the school)
- Up to $100 in board games to begin or expand your collection
- Up to $250 worth of gaming club materials (examples: headsets, controllers, adapters, video. board, or card games)
- A Padcaster Studio Kit and iPad
Awardees will be required to:
- Create and maintain a gaming club using the materials above, including recruiting students to participate
- Participate in a monthly community of practice call for club leadership to interact, discuss, and connect. Calls take place on the first Thursday of the month from 7-8 P.M. via Microsoft Teams.
- Complete and submit an impact report (by November 30, 2022)
- Help learners in your building cultivate relationships through gaming opportunities
Please review the VGCUSA FAQ for details about the above before applying. Your Superintendent or Principal must also provide certifications and a signature to be included with the application. Applications will be scored against a rubric.
This project is made possible by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries.
Applications are due by 7 P.M. on Tuesday, February 22. Accepted applicants will be notified by Friday, March 4, 2022. Please direct any questions to Corri Hines, School Age Services Advisor for the Office of Commonwealth Libraries.