Somerset County Library is having a celebration of the Harry Potter series:
Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine
This traveling exhibition was developed and produced by the Exhibition Program at the National Library of Medicine and will be held from April 9 – May 19, 2018.
Note for teachers: the Library has access to related curricula developed by Exhibit staff:
Boggart and Fear in Harry Potter (designed with 7th-10th grade History and Social Studies classes in mind) and Genetic Traits in Harry Potter (designed with 5th-8th grade Science and Technology classes in mind). The Library only plans to use small portions of these in their STEAM Club and other programming.
Grand Opening Celebration: Saturday, April 14, 12 pm-3 pm
special event with Harry Potter décor, Diagon Alley shop (sponsored by Friends of Somerset County Library), photo booth, Quidditch, crafts, etc. Character costumes welcome!
Harry Potter Book Club – A special club meeting with book discussion and Harry Potter-themed activities for each book, plus a final wrap-up meeting. Wednesdays, March 28 – May 16, 6pm – 7pm.
Harry Potter movies –Thursdays, 5-8 pm. April 5 – May 24
STEAM Club, held Monday nights at 6 pm
The Club will feature experiments and activities based on a Harry Potter theme during the duration of the Exhibit.
LittleBits Inventor’s Club – held 1st Saturday of each month at 1 pm
The Club will feature a Harry Potter-themed challenge on May 5 and possibly a Harry Potter theme on April 7 too, in anticipation of the Exhibit
Other special programs still in the planning stages (possibly to take place during one of the Tuesday night Personal Enrichment Series
- Defense against the Dark Arts (introduction to self-defense techniques by local martial arts teacher
- Renaissance Roots of Modern Medicine Panel Discussion by local doctors
- Muggle Mystery BreakOut Challenge
- Possible additional Escape from Azkaban or similar escape room event for teens and adults
- Story Time events held during the exhibit will likely feature some optional Harry Potter-related crafts or activities too.