WebJunction has an updated FREE course on weeding!
Key learning objectives of this course include:
- Developing clarity and decisiveness around the reasons for weeding your library collection.
- Identifying print and online resources to aid in planning an effective weeding program.
- Adapting published weeding guidelines to develop criteria for weeding their collection.
- Developing a weeding plan for the library which includes a schedule, criteria for specific subject areas and material types, and procedures.
- Explaining positive solutions to avoid common pitfalls and problems with weeding such as “unweedable” gifts, “sacred” memorial donations, the “recommended collection size” trap, fear of admitting a selection error, and others.
- Incorporating weeding in the library’s collection management policy.
- Identify tools associated with automated library catalogs that can assist in weeding such as inventory reports, collection age reports, and others