The Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and Reading Districts’ Trustee Training is on The Roles and Duties of Library Trustees, Directors, Staff and Library Stakeholders.
Join Pat Wagner of Pattern Research, Inc. for this one day workshop that will help you become an exceptional library trustee through improved understanding of your roles and duties as a public library board member.
Date/Time: Friday, May 4, 2018 10:00 am to 3:00 pm registration begins at 9:30 am
Location: Fairfield Inn & Suite, Allentown West 208 PA Route 100 Breinigsville, PA
Cost: FREE Lunch will be provided
To Register: Register by April 27th by email or phone to: Susan Gardner, District Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-258-2917 ext.311
Questions? Email Susan Gardner at email@example.com or call 610-258-2917 x311
Topics for the day include:
- The roles of the trustees, director, staff, and community
- Who has authority over which decisions
- Why trustees act as one board and not as individuals
- What library trustees should not be doing
- Relationships among board, Friends groups, and library foundations
- How to have appropriate oversight without micromanagement
- The most important duties of a library board: approving budget, policies, strategic planning, and overseeing the library director
- Library and library board ethics
- Dealing with staff conflict and community concerns
- Review of strategic planning model
- Mistakes library trustees make
- Staying legal
Workshop Leader: PAT WAGNER of PATTERN RESEARCH, INC. DENVER, COLORADO Pat Wagner is a management consultant with 34 years of experience. She is a trainer and consultant to libraries, universities, colleges, local government, nonprofits, and small businesses. She is well known for her practical and good humored programs.
This training is made possible by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf, Governor.