When: Saturday, June 1, 2019
Where: Courtyard by Marriott Wilkes-Barre Arena 879 Schechter Drive,
Wilkes-Barre PA 18702
Time: Registration 9:30AM,
Program begins 10AM, Working Lunch 12PM, Program ends by 3:30
Cost: $5 Registration (Registration is limited, register by May 20th)
The Northeast, Wilkes-Barre and Pottsville Library Districts will present
Creating Strong & Engaged Boards in collaboration with Tish Mogan, Director of Standards for Excellence for the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations. Creating a strong and engaged board depends greatly on the board’s management of the board’s operations. Access the flyer!
The Standards for Excellence Program offers steps organizations can take to enhance the accountability and commitment of board members and the board as a whole. We will share tools, content and methodology to examine improvements that can be made to board management. This workshop will be cover the following areas:
- Recognizing and creating greater diligence for board governance legal responsibilities
- Reviewing tools to create maximum engagement and effectiveness of the board (this section includes but it not limited to recruitment processes, orientation, board evaluation, board education, etc. )
- Applying rationale in determining board and staff roles
- Creating board meeting practices that focus on strategic items
- Defining best practices for maximizing the outcomes for committee work
- Understanding proper outlines for meeting minutes
- Delivering tools for ensuring follow up items take place in a reasonable time frame
A working lunch will feature a panel of local library trustee discussing specific issues library boards face that they wish they knew when they became trustees.
This project is made possible in part by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf, Governor.