The Bureau of Library Development (BLD) in the Office of Commonwealth Libraries (OCL) is offering four virtual opportunities to attend INCLUDING YOU in 2023. The February – March workshop has already started. Other sessions are available, including a workshop series starting in April. Read more about the workshop below.
INCLUDING YOU is an interactive six-week workshop series designed especially for library staff that focuses on communication strategies to establish inclusive work and community environments. These opportunities are open to library staff at all levels and in public, academic and school libraries. New this year, public library trustees are invited to participate as well.
INCLUDING YOU is different from any training in Diversity, Equity, or Inclusion you have ever experienced. These workshops will help you:
- identify your implicit biases and manage them.
- identify microaggressions and address them.
- apologize and accept (or not accept) apologies.
- manage the discomfort and stress that discrimination creates.
The emphasis is on practice so that the communication strategies you learn become second nature.
INCLUDING YOU is eligible for Act 48 and Pennsylvania Public Library Continuing Education credit.
Remaining workshop dates for 2023 are as follows:
- April 12 – May 17 (Wednesdays) 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM Workshop is open to library staff at all levels and all types of libraries. Register here
- June 7 – July (Wednesdays) 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM Workshop is open to public library trustees only. Registration for this workshop will open a few weeks in advance of the workshop start date.
- August 9 – September 13 (Wednesdays) 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Workshop is open to library staff at all levels and all types of libraries as well as public library trustees. Registration for this workshop will open a few weeks in advance of the workshop start date.
Each class is limited to 30 participants; registration and acceptance to the class is on a first come, first served basis.
Expectations: Participation requires a commitment to six approximately two-hour virtual workshops. Please plan to attend all workshops as one workshop builds upon another. There will be a nominal amount of homework for each workshop.
Participants will engage in the following activities:
- Large group discussion
- Small group discussion
- In-workshop reflection
- At-home reflection
- Actual practicing of responses
- Participants will also be assigned “Accountability Partners” to converse and reflect upon workshop.
Because INCLUDING YOU instructors encourage an open, vulnerable environment, workshops will not be recorded.
Communities of Practice: Workshop participants are also invited to participate in monthly “Community of Practice” sessions. These informal professional networks allow for more discussion on the topic of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Testimonials for INCLUDING YOU from past participants:
“This is not check the box training.”
“There is no other training quite like this!”
“I’m accepting and inclusive and this made me realize what I need to work on.”
“Practical applications through practice, practice, practice!”
This training is made possible by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services https://www.imls.gov administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries. The views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed do not necessarily represent those of the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services or the Department of Education.