The Bureau of Library Development (BLD) in the Office of Commonwealth Libraries (OCL) will offer four virtual opportunities to attend INCLUDING YOU in 2023.
INCLUDING YOU is an interactive six-week workshop series designed especially for library staff that focuses on communication strategies to establish inclusive work and community environments. These opportunities are open to library staff at all levels and in public, academic and school libraries. New this year, public library trustees are invited to participate in some sessions.
INCLUDING YOU is different from any training in Diversity, Equity, or Inclusion you have ever experienced. These workshops will help you:
- identify your implicit biases and manage them.
- identify microaggressions and address them.
- apologize and accept (or not accept) apologies.
- manage the discomfort and stress that discrimination creates.
The emphasis is on practice so that the communication strategies you learn become second nature.
INCLUDING YOU is eligible for Pennsylvania Public Library Continuing Education credit.
Workshop dates for 2023 are as follows:
- February 23-March 30. Thursday evenings from 7:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Workshop is open to library staff at all levels and all types of libraries. Please register for the upcoming workshop by February 10, 2023.
- April 12-May 17. Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Workshop is open to library staff at all levels and all types of libraries. Registration for this workshop will open a few weeks in advance of the workshop start date.
- June 7-July 12. Wednesdays from 7:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Workshop is open to public library trustees. Registration for this workshop will open Registration for this workshop will open a few weeks in advance of the workshop start date.
- August 9-September 13. Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Workshop is open to library staff at all levels and all types of libraries as well as public library trustees. Registration for this workshop will open a few weeks in advance of the workshop start date.
Each class is limited to 30 participants; registration and acceptance to the class is on a first come, first served basis.
Expectations: Participation requires a commitment to six approximately two-hour virtual workshops. Please plan to attend all workshops as one workshop builds upon another. There will be a nominal amount of homework for each workshop.
Participants will engage in the following activities:
- Large-group discussion
- Small group discussion
- In-workshop reflection
- At-home reflection
- Actual practicing of responses
- Participants will also be assigned “Accountability Partners” to converse and reflect upon workshop.
Because INCLUDING YOU instructors encourage an open, vulnerable environment, workshops will not be recorded.
Communities of Practice: Workshop participants are also invited to participate in monthly “Community of Practice” sessions. These informal professional networks allow for more discussion on the topic of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Testimonials for INCLUDING YOU from past participants:
“This is not check-the-box training.”
“There is no other training quite like this!”
“I’m accepting and inclusive and this made me realize what I need to work on.”
“Practical applications through practice, practice, practice!”
This training is made possible by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services https://www.imls.gov administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries. The views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed do not necessarily represent those of the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services or the Department of Education.