I’m happy to share this invitation to join the Office of Commonwealth Libraries (OCL) at an exciting
time of growth and change in OCL’s Bureau of Library Development (BLD.) With the arrival of new leadership in Sue Banks, Director of BLD, we are renewing our commitment to develop libraries and collaboratively pursue statewide stability and accountability by focusing on the delivery of excellent and equitable library services for every Pennsylvanian.
I believe that OCL’s future holds great promise. Many exciting projects and programs lie before us and, on the horizon, a renewed clarity on the laws and regulations that govern our work, and on the development of an inspiring vision for shared standards of excellence. That’s what energizes us to find just the right person to help shape and lead these efforts now and in the future. If you are that person, I hope you will consider joining us in this journey.
As this is a key management position within OCL, we are moving quickly to identify potential candidates. The closing date for applications is Monday, February 18, 2019. Given the short application timeframe for this civil service position, attached please find a copy of the updated position description for your expeditious review and consideration.
The primary responsibilities of BLD’s Division Chief for Grants and Subsidies are to:
- Plan, evaluate, and direct state and federal grant and subsidy programs such as the Public Library Subsidy, Keystone Recreation, Park, and Conservation Fund Grants, Library Services and Technology Act Grants to States, etc.; and,
- Supervise professional and program support staff.
The successful candidate will have a strong public-service ethic, successful experience as a supervisor and manager, knowledge of library-related regulations and statutes, grant-writing experience and knowledge of the modern library’s services and capacities in the areas of community engagement, workforce development, library statistics and data, digital library services, early childhood development, and how to deliver the best library facilities for communities of all sizes.
The position’s required credentials include:
- ALA-accredited MLS.
- Seven years of increasingly responsible experience as a librarian, including three years of supervisory and managerial responsibility for a major phase of a library development program in a public or state library. (Graduate training beyond the master’s degree may be substituted for the non-supervisory professional library experience, on a year-for-year basis.)
$72,998 – $110,983 annually based on experience, plus benefits.
How to Apply
To apply, visit the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Job Opportunities website and search for “Library Development Manager.” After clicking on the job title link, you’ll find application instructions. Please note that the instructions refer to an examination. The exam is just four questions, and they relate to your qualifications for the position.
The application closing date is Monday, February 18, 2019.
BLD’s mission is to strengthen and expand the role of all types of libraries to connect Pennsylvanians with the information and resources they need for education, enrichment, and advancement. Currently, BLD’s Division of Grants and Subsidies employs 2 full-time professional librarians and 3 program-related staff. It manages $65.6 million in state and federal funds which provide critical support for:
- Basic operating costs at more than 600 public libraries
- Access to online resources as well as the means for sharing print and digital resources;
- Innovative programs such as open educational resources, digitization, early learning, open source integrated library systems, library technologies, etc.; and
- Library advisory services and continuing education for library workers and board members.
If you are the right person for this job, I hope you will give earnest consideration to this career leadership opportunity or, if you know of a potentially strong candidate for this key position, please share this opportunity with them. Many thanks.
Glenn R. Miller | Deputy Secretary & Commissioner for Libraries
Pennsylvania Department of Education | Office of Commonwealth Libraries
Room 200 Forum Building
607 South Drive | Harrisburg, PA 17120-0600
Phone: 717-783-2646 | www.statelibrary.pa.gov | @PaDeptofEd
www.facebook.com/PADepartmentofEducation | pinterest.com/PADeptOfEd
This communication is issued on the Deputy Secretary’s behalf by Jonelle Darr (firstname.lastname@example.org; 717-783-5725)