National Network of Libraries of Medicine and the All of Us Community Engagement Network
Veronica Leigh Milliner, MLIS
Community Engagement Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region
The National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) All of Us Research Program and the National Library of Medicine (NLM) have teamed up to build the National Network of Libraries of Medicine All of Us Community Engagement Network. Through this partnership, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) aim to collaborate with public libraries and community organizations in supporting the health information needs of their patrons. The National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region, (NNLM, MAR) is committed to our continued support of health programs and services in public libraries through connection to NLM health information resources, professional development training, and funding opportunities.
The goals of the NNLM All of Us Community Engagement Network are:
- To help public libraries in supporting the health information needs of their users;
- To support community engagement through public libraries for All of Us; and
- To operate the All of Us Training Center, the home for training and resources about and related to the program for consumers, health professionals, librarians, and researchers.
More opportunities will be announced in the coming months for additional ways that libraries can get involved. For current opportunities about how to bolster health initiatives in your community, public libraries can:
- Join the Network! Being a network member is for institutions and is free. Being a network member will allow you to receive updates about the NNLM All of Us efforts as well as updates from NNLM MAR. It is also a prerequisite of applying for any NNLM funding.
- Apply for funding! While many of the NNLM MAR funding opportunities won’t open until early next year, you are still able to apply for the Health Information Awareness Award (for up to $5,000) as well as Professional Development Award (for up to $2,000), proposals for both being accepted on a rolling basis. If you have an idea in mind that you would like to apply for larger funding (up to $19,000) but want to get some feedback or assistance in creating your application, reach out to NNLM, MAR staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. We fund a variety of public library ideas, from sensory storytimes, nutrition programs, and outreach to your community. It’s never too early to start planning!
- Work with NNLM, MAR to connect with other local network members interested in improving health information in their communities. NLM’s approach for community engagement is connecting network members with public libraries and other community organizations to develop effective, innovative, replicable approaches to meet health information needs of communities.
- Professional Development – NNLM, MAR Coordinators are available to provide training to staff throughout our region. From an introduction to NLM Resources to specific classes, we can work with libraries to make sure that the trainings fit the needs of the communities that you serve. We can also let you know about upcoming online continuing education opportunities. If you are looking to take your health information knowledge to the next level, also consider pursuing the Consumer Health Information Specialization (CHIS), which requires 12 continuing education credits from the Medical Library Association course offerings. Once courses are completed, NNLM will sponsor applications that will waive the normal $75 CHIS application fee.
- Visit the All of Us Journey Bus – As a new outreach and partnership opportunity, NNLM would like to invite network members to engage with the All of Us Journey when it comes to your city. The All of Us Journey will be visiting the Middle Atlantic Region on the following dates:
- New York – July 30th to August 5th
- Eastern Pennsylvania – August 6th to August 12th
For additional information and updates about specific stops, please visit the All of Us Journey website. If you are interested in volunteering with the All of Us Journey or for more information, please contact NNLM MAR All of Us Community Engagement Coordinator, Veronica Leigh Milliner via email at VLM38@pitt.edu.
If you are interested in learning more about the NNLM All of Us Community Engagement Network, becoming a network member, receiving health trainings for your library staff, or plan to apply for funding and would like to discuss it more — feel free to reach out to NNLM, MAR All of Us Community Engagement Coordinator at VLM38@pitt.edu. You can also visit the NNLM Community Engagement Network on social media – follow us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter!