The Gladwyne Free Library, a branch of the Lower Merion Library System, received a 2017 Historic Preservation Award from the Township of Lower Merion Historical Commission and Historical Architectural Review Board.
The Library was renovated to make the three level facility accessible for disabled users through the addition of an elevator and ADA compliant rest rooms. The renovation was accomplished through the addition of a glass enclosed elevator tower to the library’s vestibule. It blends seamlessly with the existing structure maintaining the historic nature of the 1931 stone building.
The original building is featured on the community’s logo and welcome sign.
The $1.8 million project was funded by the Township of Lower Merion and in part from the Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Pennsylvania Department of Education, with funds provided from the Keystone Recreation, Park and Conservation Fund.
Riding the glass enclosed elevator has been a popular activity for kids and adults as well.
Nominations for the Historic Preservation Award were reviewed for sensitivity of design, resultant effect upon the historic character and fabric of the property or site and whether the project complies with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
For additional information, contact
Director of Libraries
Lower Merion Township