You are invited to join a national network for science and literacy by receiving training and materials to lead Leap into Science workshops.
Leap into Science is a nationwide program developed by The Franklin Institute Science Museum that integrates open-ended science activities with children’s books, designed for children ages 3-10 and their families. The program empowers educators to offer workshops in community settings like libraries, museums, and out-of-school time programs to engage under-served audiences in accessible and familiar settings. Leap into Science provides workshops on a science theme for three possible audiences: early childhood, elementary, and/or family groups.
The Pennsylvania Leap into Science Leadership Team is hosting FREE trainings on Leap into Science Wind workshops at the following times and locations:
- Edinboro, PA: August 22, 2019; 10:00 am – 2:30 pm
- Williamsport, PA: September 12, 2019; 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
- Allentown, PA: Oct 1, 2019, 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
Each organization who participates in Leap into Science will receive:
- A 4-hour in-person training on high-quality science and literacy curriculum and facilitation strategies for two or more educators
- Ongoing support during program implementation as part of a Leap into Science National Network
- Access to the national Leap into Science leadership team and online resources
- A curriculum and materials kit (valued at $300)
- Web-based training on new curriculum themes in subsequent years
As a Leap into Science partner organization, you are committing to:
- Scheduling and leading at least three (3) Leap into Science workshops for children and/or families living in underserved rural or urban communities by next spring.
- Posting each workshop to The Connectory, a searchable directory for STEM programs across the country. Assistance will be provided.
- Leading Leap into Science activities during National Leap into Science Week during the last week of February.
- Completing a workshop report following each workshop.
- Participating in quarterly calls with other trained educators in your state.
- Completing an annual survey and possible interview.
To participate in the national network and attend one of the trainings listed above, please complete this brief application form by May 15, 2019. Priority will be given to organizations that can send at least two educators to the training. If selected, you will receive email notification of your acceptance by June 15, 2019, along with details about the training you will attend.
Susan Pannebaker, MLIS | Youth Services Advisor, Bureau of Library Development
Office of Commonwealth Libraries |Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street | 12th Floor | Harrisburg PA 17126
Phone: 717-214-4047 | Fax: 717-772-0044 | www.statelibrary.pa.gov