Turning Outward Applications Now Being Accepted
Applications from public libraries to participate in the Turning Outward initiative are now being accepted via SurveyMonkey.
For more information about the program and its requirements, review the applicant guidelines carefully before submitting an application. Also, make certain that you review the print version of the application in order to be prepared to complete the online version in one session.
- Turning Outward Initiative – Applicant Guidelines (PDF)
- Turning Outward Application – Review Copy – For review only (PDF)
- Turning Outward SurveyMonkey Application
Applications are due Friday, September 15, 2017.
Applicants that are selected will be notified by Friday, October 6, 2017.
The initial training event, the Public Innovators Lab, will be held on November 7-9, 2017, at The Atherton Hotel in State College, PA.
The Office of Commonwealth Libraries has engaged The Harwood Institute for Public Innovation to work with up to 20 competitively-selected Pennsylvania public libraries from November 2017 through September 2019 to understand and implement Harwood’s ‘turning outward’ approach toward making decisions about library services and resources.
The intent of the Turning Outward initiative is to:
- Develop library organizations and staff who are Turned Outward—where the community is the reference point for making decisions;
- Generate strategies and actions that make public libraries more relevant and significant in the life of the community, and seeks to address local financial concerns;
- Forge partnerships and relationships that make community a common enterprise;
- Instill a more vibrant, outward-looking culture.
Glenn R. Miller | Deputy Secretary & Commissioner for Libraries
Pennsylvania Department of Education | Office of Commonwealth Libraries
Room 200 Forum Building
607 South Drive | Harrisburg, PA 17120-0600
Phone: 717-783-2466 | www.education.pa.gov | @PaDeptofEd